Senior Legal Counsel
Line of Business
Provide legal advice and transactional support for a range of investments and products across all BlueBay investment strategies globally, including Convertible Bonds, High Yield/Leverage Finance, Private Debt, Special Situations/Distressed Debt and Structured Finance/CLOs.
In addition to providing legal and transactional support to effect the initial investment, ongoing coverage of the transaction is often required to take the position through a restructuring, refinancing or other exit strategy, including through debt (loans or bonds and either as single name or portfolio investments), claims, receivables and equity positions, total return swaps and other bespoke products.
Additional work may include participation in private funds structuring and financing (subscription facilities, asset-backed facilities, margin loans, FX contingent loans), including coordination of financing counterparties and management of external counsels.
BlueBay investment teams are based in London and Stamford, CT (USA) and are supported by the Transaction Legal team based in London. The individual in this role will report to the London based Associate General Counsel, Head of Transaction Legal and join a present team of four lawyers who support the business globally.
What will your main responsibilities involve?
- Negotiate, draft and review LMA, bespoke trade and asset-related documentation for debt origination, distressed loans, claims and loan portfolio and restructuring transactions, in a variety of jurisdictions across the world and across a variety of debt types (e.g., loans, bonds, equity participations, structured finance and other bespoke products).
- Provide legal analysis and transactional advice on debt documentation-related queries from desk analysts and traders.
- Advise on queries from and providing legal support to investment, compliance and operation teams.
- Prepare and comment on non-binding and binding bid and commitment letters, term sheets, as well as providing transactional support in the context of loan portfolio transactions.
- Coordinate with compliance, risk, operations, corporate legal and others in formulating and updating policies and procedures for the business.
- Coordinate with external counsels, trade associations and other stakeholders to advise on regulatory matters impacting the business.
What skills and qualifications will you ideally possess?
- A qualified lawyer in England and/or in the State of New York.
- 4-8 years of transactional legal experience with a top law firm or within the financial services industry.
- An understanding of insolvency, restructurings (US Chapter 11 and Chapter 15 bankruptcy procedures, UK schemes of arrangement etc.) and banking/leverage finance.
- Experience with LMA documentation, including various intercreditor arrangements.
- Understanding of financial products and markets, commercial awareness and can-do attitude are a must.
- Working knowledge of other language(s), in particular German, French, Italian and/or Spanish helpful but not essential.
BlueBay is one of Europe’s largest specialist active managers of fixed income, entrusted by clients with over US$60 billion in AuM in corporate and sovereign debt, rates and FX.
BlueBay is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada with full investment autonomy and substantial operational independence.
- Over US$60bn as at 30 September 2018.
- 5 sub-asset classes.
- 16 strategies.
- 117 investment professionals.
- 364 employees and partners.
- 7 offices globally (UK, US, Japan, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany & Australia).
Apply for this job
If you're interested in this opportunity please email your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunities employer, and ensure that no applicant is subject to less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, gender identity, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, responsibilities for dependants, physical or mental disability. BlueBay selects candidates for interview based on their skills, qualifications and experience.
As part of our standard hiring process to manage risk, please note background screening checks will be conducted on all hires before commencing employment.